Skip to content

PAFnow Pareto

With PAFnow Pareto you can evaluate your process performance at one glance. You can easily see, if 80 percent of your results are reached with 20 percent of your effort. In terms of your process performance, this means that 20 percent of your variants should cover 80 percent of your cases for your performance to be classified as good. With Pareto you can see if the Pareto principle is met by your system and how much you deviate from the 80:20 ratio. As the Pareto Visual refers to process variants, you can find it on the Variants Report Page.


This is the icon of the PAFnow Pareto in the Visualizations pane:


How to get started

To evaluate your process performance at one glance with Pareto, you first have to drag the required fields into the respective buckets.


VariantId: Drag-and-drop the VariantId from the Cases table into the VariantId bucket.

CaseId: Drag-and-drop CaseId from the Cases table into the Count of Cases bucket and select Count (distinct) in the drop-down-menu.


How to use

Once you have selected the necessary fields for the PAFnow Pareto, you can start to evaluate your process performance.

PAFnow Pareto

Function 1 The Pareto principle is met as 20 percent of the variants explain 80 percent of the cases. Pareto is all green-colored.

Function 2 In this example the Pareto Principle was not met as only 30 percent of the variants manage to explain 80 percent of the cases. This gap is shown in red in the visual.

Outer Ring

The outer ring of the PAFnow Pareto indicates the 80 percent ratio and thus refers to the number of cases. Colored in green is the proportion of cases that are covered by 20 percent of the variants. Colored in red is the remaining portion that is still needed to reach 80 percent.

Inner Ring

The inner ring of the PAFnow Pareto shows the 20 percent ratio based on variants. The variants are sorted based on the number of cases they cover, in descending order. The first variant, here with the ID 1, takes up the biggest part of the ring because it covers a total of 50 cases.

Inner Circle

The top number in the inner circle indicates the percentage share of variants, covering the threshold value of 80 percent of cases. The bottom number indicates the exact percentage of cases covered by the variants listed above (and can thus be higher than 80 percent).


When you hover-over a part of the inner circle, the respective variant, its ID, and the number of cases are displayed.


Inner Ring Selection

Inner ring selection

You can click on the inner circle of the Pareto Visual to select the correspondending variants. In this example you would select VariantId 1,2,4.

Outer Ring Selection

Outer ring selection

When you click on the green part of the outer circle, you would select the 20% of the VariantIds, e.g., VariantId 1-6, covering the 80% of the cases. When you click the red part of the outer circle, the missing VariantIds, which would be needed to cover 80% of the Cases, e.g., VariantId 7, are selected.


Required Fields

In order to use the Pareto, you have to drag the required fields into the respective buckets.

Name Type Description
VariantId Numerical Use the VariantId field from the Cases table.
CaseId Numerical Use the CaseId from the the Cases table and choose Count (Distinct) from the drop-dow-menu.


In the Formatting pane FormattingIcon you can personalize and customize the PAFnow Pareto. We show and explain the different possibilities below.


Name Description
View The results are displayed as a pie chart by default. Alternatively, you can also show the corresponding table or both.
Description Here you can show or hide the detailed description of the Pareto ratio.
Upper Threshold (Pareto 80 percent) Here you can adjust the upper threshold. What percentage of the results should be covered? Set to 80 percent by default.
Allowed Ratio (Pareto 20 percent) Here you can set the maximum share of allowed effort. What is the maximum allowable effort? Set to 20 percent by default.
Tick Marks Here you can show and hide the 5 percent tick marks. By default, these are displayed.
Ring Color Allowed Ratio Set the color for the section covered by the maximum effort. The color is set to green by default.
Ring Color Until Threshold Set the color for the section needed to reach the upper threshold in the outer ring. The color is set to red by default.